Thursday, September 29, 2011

Witness Account

      I had just put my youngest son, Peter, into bed for I never got to see my children much being a sailor and all. Then I went to talk to my wife since my ship was leaving early in the afternoon and make sure she had enough money to last till I came back. We talked for about five minutes then the end began to start. Mrs. Cranny was shrieking at the top of her eighty year old lungs and waddling her short round physique down the street. I peered out our small two- story wooden house and went back twenty years to my childhood remembering tales of dragons. A roaring inferno was consuming every inch of the markets and merchant houses, with the speed of a messenger grabbing my children out of bed and ushering my wife to come with me to my ship. Truly I wasn't sure of the rest of the crew would come to the ship but I wasn't about to get roasted alive without giving some effort to escape. About half my crew came to the ship and we set sail at once. As soon as we were out of the reach of the flames we anchored and sent rowboats to anyone that was at the port. The better part of six days you could hear the blood curdling screams of the people, and smell the burning flesh of my fellow Roman's. During those terrible days, throughout the screaming, you could hear this sinister laugh while a lyre was being played. We asked our emperor if he had anything to do with this but he said no and instead he blamed the Christians and burned thousands at the stake. The only good accomplishment of this terrible day is that the debris filled the marshes right outside of Rome that had plagued us for generations.

2 comments:

  1. As I was travling through Rome after our great victory at Troy, I glanced over and seen that there was a huge cloud of smoke billowing into the sky. As I approached, I noticed that there were thousands of people running around screaming for their lifes. I docked at a nearby pier, and somebody ran over to me screaming in fear. They asked me my name, and I told them that my name was Acames, and that I had just helped win the Trojan War. They asked me if I could help them, so I asked Odysseus. He said that we should leave, for we had just won a great war, and we were tired. I told the scared person we were leaving, and he began to scream loudly that the Greeks only thought of themselves. I started to help even though Oddysseus had told us not to, but I quickly thought otherwise, for I didn't want punished for disobeying orders. As we left Rome, the tragic sounds of desperation rang out from Rome, and I remember hearing a strang noise amidst the tradegy, and that was the sound of a lyre began played by a man who was laughing with a sinister tone, but I did not turn back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Thomas Jefferson) It was in Rome when I gathered inspiration for my next document after the Declaration of Independence. The Great Burning of Rome, as it was later called, was such a horrifying event I could not process any thought at that time. I was riding in my carriage when I looked up to see a great cloud of smoke rising to the North. So I told the driver to speed up to investigate the scene. When I arrived chaos was everywhere, women and children running for their poor lives, and men dong everything they could o put the fire out. All I was doing was searching for a little bit of inspiration. I ran over to a lone child and grabbed him just in time to dodge a large board falling from a once stable cottage. I took the boy to a group of people huddled up and then ran back to my carriage. My driver said that we couldn't be here much longer and it took some persuading but I finally climbed onto the carriage. As we rode away I couldn't help but notice a sound, was it a humming, no much louder, a scream, no it had a melody. Then it came to me, a lyre was playing as a man laughed oh so sinister. But it was to late to get a glance on the source of the sounds.

    ReplyDelete